Counsel for the plaintiff

Counsel for the plaintiff

If you have been the victim of a serious crime, you have the right to a counsel to represent you before, during and after the trial. You can request which law firm, attorney or legal associate you want to represent you.

If you want support throughout the process and be sure that your rights are safeguarded, you should already at the first contact with the police say that you want a counsel from Olsson Lilja Attorneys. With us as your counsel, you have someone to turn to throughout the process, i.e. before, during and after both police interviews and any trials.

Making a police report

If you have been the victim of a crime, you should report it to the police as soon as possible. An early report facilitates the work of securing evidence and makes it easier for you and any witnesses to describe what happened in interviews. A police report is necessary for the police and prosecutors to investigate the crime and for you to seek compensation (damages). Filing a police report can be very difficult. Remember that you can call us at Olsson Lilja Attorneys for free advice both before and after making a report. We will help you all the way.

If a long time has passed since the crime was committed

Many crimes have a statute of limitations, which means that after a certain period of time the offender can no longer be convicted of the crime. It is still possible to file a police report even if the statute of limitations has expired, but there will usually be no court proceedings.

The applicable limitation period depends on the seriousness of the crime. For some very serious crimes, such as rape and aggravated rape against persons under 18, there is no limitation period. For assault, the limitation period is 5 years and for aggravated assault 10 years. Crimes that are considered less serious, such as molestation, have a limitation period of two years.

It is worth remembering that the limitation period for sexual offences against children starts from the age of 18. This means, for example, that if you are a child victim of sexual assault, for which the statute of limitations is 5 years, the statute of limitations does not expire until you turn 23.

Preliminary investigation

After a police report, the police and prosecutors decide whether to start a preliminary investigation. During the preliminary investigation, evidence is collected. The police and prosecutors interview the victim of the crime, any witnesses and the suspect. At the end of the investigation, the prosecutor decides whether or not to prosecute. The investigator may also decide to close the investigation if the evidence is not considered sufficient. However, it is possible to request a review of the discontinuation decision, which your counsel can help you with.

Who is entitled to a counsel?

You are entitled to a counsel if you have been the victim of a serious crime or if there is a special need for a counsel for some other reason. As a rule, all sexual offenses entitle you to counsel. Some examples of other crimes that give the right to counsel are assault, causing bodily harm, unlawful deprivation of liberty, unlawful coercion, gross violation of women's rights and marital coercion. If you have been the victim of a crime and are unsure about your right to counsel, you are welcome to contact us at Olsson Lilja Attorneys for free advice.

What does a counsel do?

Anyone who is an attorney or a legal associate at a law firm can be appointed as counsel. The task of the counsel is to protect the interests of the injured party and to pursue any claims for damages. The counsel is with you at hearings and provides support during the preliminary investigation and trial.

Private counsel

In some situations, the court may decide that you are not entitled to a counsel. In such situations, you always have the right to hire a private attorney. In these cases, you will usually have to pay the costs of the representative yourself.

Change of counsel

It is possible to request a change of counsel if you are dissatisfied with the person representing you. A change of counsel is decided by the court if there are special reasons. It is a good idea to contact the attorney you want to change before requesting a change.

It is not always that the court grants the request for change.  If you want to change counsel to one of us at Olsson Lilja Attorneys, you are welcome to contact us and we will help you review your possibilities to change.

How much compensation can I get?

If the offender is convicted, you can often receive compensation for the crime you have suffered. The amount of damages awarded varies from crime to crime. You can claim compensation for things like damaged clothes, stolen/destroyed property, hospital costs, counseling and loss of income. Compensation is also available for humiliation and pain and suffering. Pain and suffering refers to physical or mental distress. Victim compensation is paid for certain types of crimes where personal integrity is considered to have been violated. The amount of compensation you receive depends on the circumstances of the individual case and how serious the crime is considered to have been.

Page content

How can we help you?
Fill in the form below and we will contact you.
The Consumer Disputes Board of the Swedish Bar Association
The Consumer Disputes Board examines fee disputes and other financial claims, both domestic and cross-border, brought by a consumer against a attorney or law firm. Learn more here.

Visiting address

Olsson Lilja Advokater
Sankt Eriksgatan 63A
112 34 Stockholm

Postal address

Sankt Eriksgatan 63A
112 34 Stockholm

Contact us