Defense attorney

Defense attorney in Stockholm and the rest of Sweden

When you are the suspect of a crime, you are in most cases entitled to a public defender. You can request which law firm or attorney you want to represent you. You do this by informing the police or prosecutor of your preferred choice.

A public defender is reimbursed by the state. The general rule is that a person convicted of a crime must reimburse the costs of a public defender to the state. This depends on the crime for which you were convicted, your personal and financial situation, the outcome of the case and the potential sentence. The court may decide that you have to pay back all, part or none of your defense costs. If you have no income or are sentenced to a longer prison term, the cost is normally borne by the state.

Our attorneys undertake assignments as defense attorneys in all types of criminal cases. At Olsson Lilja Attorneys we always do our utmost to protect your interests and ensure that you receive fair treatment from the police, prosecutors and judges. Regardless of the size of the case, you will always have an attorney or a legal associate with you during police interrogations and other important investigative measures. We always strive to provide the best possible defense for our clients.

Who has the right to a public defender?

If you are suspected of a crime and are arrested or detained, you always have the right to a public defender. You also have the right to an attorney if you are suspected of a crime for which the minimum statutory penalty is six months' imprisonment.

In addition, you have the right to a defense if:

  • it is necessary for the investigation of the crime,
  • there is doubt as to which penalty to choose and there are grounds for imposing a penalty other than a fine and/or a suspended sentence; or
  • there are special reasons because of your personal circumstances or the nature of the case.

It is the court that assesses whether you are entitled to a public defender under any of the latter three points. If you are unsure of what applies, you can contact us at Olsson Lilja Attorneys before requesting a public defender. We offer free advice.


As a criminal suspect, you should never be questioned by the police without a defense attorney present. If you have been notified of a suspicion and have been summoned for questioning, you can call the police and tell them which law firm or attorney you want. The police will then notify the court, which will decide whether to appoint the attorney for you.

If you have been assigned a defense attorney from us at Olsson Lilja Attorneys, we will discuss the case with you before the hearing. We go through what happens during a police interrogation and are then with you during the interrogation. We safeguard your rights and handle the contact with the police, prosecutor and court.

Sometimes the police summon you for questioning without notifying you of a suspected crime. If you attend a police interview and are served with a suspected crime during the interview, you can say that you do not want to continue the interview without an attorney present. You can tell the police at the scene which attorney you want. Remember that as a suspect you are never obliged to answer the police's questions during an interrogation.

Change of public defender

If you have been assigned a defense attorney with whom you are dissatisfied, you can request a change. You should send a request for change to the court. In your request, you should describe why you are dissatisfied and want to change. It is a good idea to first contact the attorney you want to switch to.

It is not always the case that the court grants the request for switching. If you want to switch to an attorney at Olsson Lilja Attorneys, you are welcome to contact us and we will help you review the possibilities of switching.

Private attorney

If you are not entitled to a public defender, you can hire a private defender. You can also hire a private defender if you want to change your public defender to someone else, but the court does not allow it. Another situation where private defense can be used is in the case of an application for an annulment.

When hiring a private defender, you pay for the attorney's work yourself. How much it costs depends, among other things, on how much time the assignment requires.

Suspected of a crime - frequently asked questions:

Page content

How can we help you?
Fill in the form below and we will contact you.
The Consumer Disputes Board of the Swedish Bar Association
The Consumer Disputes Board examines fee disputes and other financial claims, both domestic and cross-border, brought by a consumer against a attorney or law firm. Learn more here.

Visiting address

Olsson Lilja Advokater
Sankt Eriksgatan 63A
112 34 Stockholm

Postal address

Sankt Eriksgatan 63A
112 34 Stockholm

Contact us

Phone  +46 (0)8-27 71 81